Monday, October 18, 2010

Seaworthy: a Swordfish Captain Returns to the Sea

I just finished Linda Greenlaw's Seaworthy: a Swordfish Captain Returns to the Sea. I was surprised to see she had written a new book related to her commercial fishing career: I thought she had retired from fishing.

Seaworthy recounts Greenlaw's 52-day sword-fishing trip to the Grand Banks, her first after a ten year hiatus. Just about everything that could go wrong does go wrong, from mechanical failures, crew electrocution (he lived) to being arrested by the Canadian Coast Guard. Despite this, Greenlaw writes as if the experience were a humorous and fun adventure.

Her writing style is engaging and informative and she assesses herself with humor and honesty. I thoroughly enjoyed sharing in her adventure.

I've read her other books about adventures at life at sea and enjoyed them as well.  I haven't had a chance to read her mysteries yet, but they're on my ever growing list of books I'll get to.

If you enjoy her writing, you may be interested to know that the Discovery channel has a show about her and other swordfishing captains called "Swords - Life on the Line."  The show is modeled after the "Deadliest Catch."


-Natalie


If you enjoy Seaworthy, you might also like:

The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger
The Hungry Ocean: a Swordfish Captain's Journey by Linda Greenlaw

No comments:

Post a Comment