Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I am the Cheese

I am the Cheese by Robert Cormier is a book I have seen on school summer reading lists here at the library year after year.  This year it's my son's turn to do his required summer reading and I brought I am the Cheese home to try to motivate him. Frankly, I was judging the book by its title: I am the cheese?! -- it's got to appeal to an adolescent boy's sense of humor.  Of course, my son wasn't interested. I started to read it, in the hopes of learning enough about it to be able to talk it up as something he would like. And WOW! I was blown away by this book. I read it in one sitting.  It is suspenseful, well-written, and has great characters. It kept me guessing until the end and surprised me with a great "never saw it coming ending."  I had no idea that this is considered a  "young adult" classic and would never have guessed that I would love a "young adult" book.

This summer the Kelley Library is offering its first adult summer reading program. It is called Water your Mind." The goal of the program is to encourage you to read something you would not normally read -- in other words, to not judge a book by its cover.

-Natalie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment