Monday, December 21, 2009

206 Bones

I just finished Kathy Reichs's new book - 206 Bones.  I always enjoy her mysteries.  Kathy Reichs is one of the few forensic anthropologists in the country and she does a wonderful job of blending her actual work experience into the plots of her stories.  

When the novel's protagonist -- forensic anthropologist Tempe Brennan -- regains consciousness she finds herself bound and confined in a tomb-like space. The novel then alternates between Brennan's current predicament and her recollection of the three murder cases that lead her there.

In addition to the murder mystery, the author addresses the issue of quality lab work. When justice depends on the forensic evidence, what happens when labs do inferior work?

Reich's books are so popular that the television show "Bones" is based on their main character.

-Natalie

3 comments:

  1. I'm considering reading the books since I love the series so much. How does it compare? I'm in the middle of the Dexter books, and they're terrible and disappointing compared to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment.

    I have not read the book, but I spoke to Natalie who wrote the review and put your questions to her. She says that the books are darker than the TV show and that in the books the character is older and less socially dysfunctional.

    I have not read the Dexter books, but I suspect that they are based on the TV series, rather than the other way around as in the case of Reichs' books. The former does not generally produce great literature, to say the least.

    Why not take a look at one of the books in Reichs' series. We have lots of them and it you don't like it you don't have to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turns out I was wrong about the Dexter books. The first season of the show is based on the book Darkly Dreaming Dexter -- not the other way around. However, the following seasons are not based firmly on any of the books.

    ReplyDelete