Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Lost Symbol

I recently read Dan Brown's new thriller, The Lost Symbol. It was very enjoyable and exciting. The action moves rather fast, so I found it a relatively quick read -- although sometimes I had to flip back to reread a particular part when a twist in the action made me think, "Wait...what just happened?"

As in The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, this novel's hero is Robert Langdon. The conflict of the story surrounds the Masons, a group that has been a popular subject for mysteries in recent years (for example: National Treasure). As we have come to expect from Dan Brown, the story is full of turns and unforeseen events that make the book hard to put down, but which our hero Robert Langdon ultimately ties together brilliantly in the end.

I think what I enjoyed most about the story was its setting. Unlike the other Langdon books that take place in Europe, this book is set in Washington, D.C. I've been to D.C. several times, and, as a result, I found it easier to picture the action in The Lost Symbol than I did with his other books. I've been to the Smithsonian, I've seen the George Washington statue he talked about, and I've been in the rotunda of the Capitol. I could put myself in the story.

I highly recommend reading this book! And, I can't wait for his next one!

-Becki

No comments:

Post a Comment