Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Best Music You've Never Heard Of

The Best Music You've Never Heard Of by Nigel Williamson (and others) is not necessarily something you will want to sit down and read cover to cover, but if you are a music fan, you will be well rewarded by flipping through it. (Though now that I say that, I guess that I did read it cover to cover for the most part.)

Williamson arranges his entries by genre, then alphabetically by author within each genre. As the title suggests, The Best Music You've Never Heard Of focuses on musical artists who are (or were) extremely talented, but who never achieved the popularity they deserved. Each artist or group is given a thorough biography and discography, along with the authors' recommendations of the best tracks.

Some of the entries you may have heard of. Moby Grape anyone? But can you honestly say you have heard of the 13th Floor Elevators? I am embarrassed to say that I did not know who Karen Dalton was, but am now pleased that I do.

-Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment